Maladie de Lapeyronie
  01 42 77 14 53

Impotence - Treating impotence

Auteur : Docteur Marc Galiano - Date de dernière mise à jour : 3 September 2015

h2>Who should I see?

You should first speak to your referring physician. Often, simply discussing it can improve certain situations.
You can also consult:
– An andrologist doctor or surgeon, a specialist in male genitalia just as a gynaecologist is the specialist in female genitalia.
– An urologist surgeon specialist in the male urogenital system.
– A sexologist, which can be considered as the psychologist of sexuality.

When should you consult a specialist?

Most often, on the advice of your referring physician.
When your sexual problems persist, it is necessary to look for or eliminate an organic cause. Precise questions as well as a clinical examination and a laboratory and radiological work-up will sometimes be required. Therefore, a consultation with an andrologist or urologist is advised.
When there are problems in your relationship or there is not organic explanation for the erectile dysfunction, advice from a sexologist is recommended as a first step.

What kind of treatment?

Medical treatment for impotence

For insignificant erectile dysfunction, after addressing potential lifestyle and dietary issues (tobacco, excess weight, for example), you may be proposed:
– Either food supplements specially developed for this indication (Elliovir®)
– Or Yohimbine (Yohimbine is the main alkaloid from the bark of the West African Pausinystalia Yohimbes tree). This is an extra treatment for impotence. It is considered an aphrodisiac.
– Or medication from the family of PhosphoDiEsterase type 5 inhibitors.
For more significant erectile dysfunction you need see a specialist and tailor the treatments, or even propose intracavernous injections of prostaglandin (the pharmaceutical name is Alprostadyl. It has vasodilator properties, which will enable good quality erections.)
In other cases, the vacuum can be an effective method. It consists of drawing blood into the corpora cavernosa and keeping it there with a band restraint placed at the base of the penis.

Surgical treatment for impotence

Surgery may be proposed to you by your specialist in some specific cases. There are two categories of operations:

1. Vascular operations:
– Intended for patients with venous leakage (the blood is not properly maintained in the penis during erection). When this leakage is due to one or more veins in an abnormal situation, treatment consists of a ligature in the operating room.
– Intended for young patients with drug-resistant impotence. This is anastomosis (connection of two structures, most often two blood vessels) of the epigastric artery to the deep vein of the penis making it possible to increase the blood supply in the corpora cavernosa during erection.
These techniques work well when they are well indicated and perfectly executed by your surgeon.

2. Procedures with placement of a penile implant: the website will give you detailed information about penile prosthesis surgery.


Doctor Marc Galiano


2 rue Dupuytren
75006 PARIS